Friday, July 16, 2010

I having trouble understanding errors in causal thinking. Please explain it to me so I can understand?

I am in college and taking a criminal justice research methods class. I am having trouble understanding about errors in causal thinking in regards to criminal justice. Could you please use an example and explain it to me? I really appreciate it. Thanks.

I having trouble understanding errors in causal thinking. Please explain it to me so I can understand?
The problem is brains
Reply:The biggest problem comes when people use words and concepts carelessly, ignoring important distinctions and definitions.





For example, saying someone is a "criminal" means they have committed a crime. Saying someone is a "suspect", means we think they have committed a crime. Saying someone is a "defendant" (or "accused") means they have been charged with a crime. These three terms are not interchangeable, since each has a specific legal status.





When throwing out those distinctions, people make stupid statements like "criminals should have no rights". However, they forget that the 5th Amendment applies to "any person" and the 6th Amendment to anyone "accused". So "criminal" is not a legal status that can be used for making such decisions. "Convicted Felon" is, but not "criminal".





Because people think casually, and not making proper distinctions or definitions, they reach faulty conclusions. And because they are not aware they are doing it, they keep compounding the problem over and over again.

dr teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment