Friday, July 16, 2010

Planning a subcultural study of disco for university: any pointers?

Hi all,





I'm considering a dissertation in the subculture of disco, where I intend to look at its history, how the mainstream appropriated then dumped it, and if it is still in modern dance music.





In terms of research I have two books on the history of disco but I'm not sure about what research methods to use. Should I interview DJs, have focus groups etc.





It would be for an MA degree if I go through with it, hope you can please help.

Planning a subcultural study of disco for university: any pointers?
Interviewing DJ's sounds like a good idea. Also if you can get interviews with disco artists that would be cool too.





If there aren't many books on disco, maybe you can look for music criticism scholarly journals or even music magazine articles discussing disco, either from the 1970's or more recent. From there you can probably get more ideas for more sources.


No comments:

Post a Comment