Sunday, August 22, 2010

Independent variable and dependent variable? Is this correct?

I need 2 independent variables that need to be manipulated to arrive at answer to that research question. Also are they concrete and measurable?





Are women more aggressive toward female drivers or male drivers?





Independent Variable: female drivers and male drivers, the actions of the female and male drivers





Dependent: aggression.





Also if you can go into detail of why I'm correct or incorrect it will be very much appreciated. I'm having a very hard time in my research method 1 class.








Thanks

Independent variable and dependent variable? Is this correct?
Well your independent variable is measurable...however it should just be men and women.





The dependent variable would be aggression which should be measured by the men or women's actions.
Reply:The instructor for my psychology class gave us a good way to remember this (I actually posted a similar question myself a couple weeks ago!!). Each time you look at an example, you should say "Effect of ____________ on ___________". The first blank is your independent variable, and the second blank is your dependent variable.





In this case, I would think you are looking at the "effect of the gender of the driver (male or female) on the aggression of the female driver", which gives you the independent and dependent variable based on the sentence I gave you.





I hope that helps...this has been very confusing for me too!!


No comments:

Post a Comment