Sunday, August 22, 2010

Way to pay for nursing school?

I am applying for nursing school in January so I have been researching payment methods. Someone told me that some hospitals offer contracts where you agree to work for them for so many years after you graduate and they will pay for your schooling. Has anyone else heard of this? That would be great if it was true, but I have searched through several different hospital sites and cannot find anyone that offers this. I worked for a small hospital once and they offered to pay for schooling if you worked there, not if you planned on it later. I know the smart thing to do would be to go back to my job at the hospital but I just CANNOT stand desk work!





Any leads into this would be great help. Also, if you have done something like this, do they pay just as equally as if they had not paid for your schooling, or do they start you lower than average? I would be graduating with a BSN and I'm located in South Texas if that is of any help.





Thanks in advance.

Way to pay for nursing school?
Those hospital programs usually only provide money when you're in your last two years of nursing school (clinical time). You then sign a contract agreeing to work for them for x amount of years. In the event you fail out of nursing school, you will be obligated to pay the money back to them. You will be paid the same as any entry level nurse in that facility, although it may provide to be more difficult to get the specialty or floor that you want to do. ROTC programs also cover full tuition, books, and stipend, if you don't mind the commitment to the military.
Reply:I have heard about what you are refering to. One of my best friends from high school (Springfield, MO) entered a program like this. I believe she started at the hospital as a nursing assistant and the hospital paid for her to go through nursing school. I also know a woman who is has her LPN license and is working at a hopspital part-time while she works on her RN license. The hospital is also helping with her tuition. She lives in Louisville, KY.


You may also want to check into The Student Loan People. I'm not sure if they offer loans in TX, but in KY they have programs for nurses where they will reduce you student loan debt by 20% for every year you work in the field. Check it out at studentloanpeople.org. Good luck!

braces for teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment