Sunday, August 22, 2010

What do you need to know to tell me the best savings method?

Hi, I'm trying to work out what's the best savings method - mini ISA, types of shares etc. I know that this depends a lot on the individual's situation.


For those who are perhaps a bit more finance savvy than the rest of us - can you give me a list of things it depends ON, e.g. tax rate, my age, how quick I need to be able to take money out etc. This way I can do the research that will give me a more pertinent answer. I'm saving for a house deposit.


Thank you in advance.

What do you need to know to tell me the best savings method?
There are steps to investing.


The first stair is to remove debt (target 30% of your income to reduce your debt)


The next stair is saving (target 10% of your income to go toward savings)


Once you have 3 to 6 months in savings... you can move to investing.





Note: Once your debt is paid off, start savin gor investing the 30%.





Other notes... All raises should have % going to savings or debt (bonuses too - I you are so lucky :))
Reply:How much can you save per paycheck? How often are you paid?





What is the current cost of a starter home in your area?





What other savings/investments do you already have?





Your job and current salary and expected (likely) salary increase year on year for the next 10 years.





Age - nearly irrelvant at this stage


Tax rate - ditto





Really you need to sit down with a financial advisor and work out if saving for a house deposit is actually priority No1 right now. Houses cost way more than you might think to maintain and there is a protracted slump coming (US %26amp; UK) so the rush is probably off for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment